When it comes to presents, you often hear that it is the thought that counts.
And while even a hastily bought present is a nice gesture, a homemade gift means the world.
Whether you’re giving a gift to mark the International Day of Friendship, your best friend’s birthday, or their going away party, a scrapbook makes a beautifully personal and thoughtful gift.
And the best part is that making a scrapbook is relatively easy and budget friendly!
Just buy a nice blank photo book and print pictures of your favorite friendship memories.
Then, gather old tickets, bar coasters, brochures, friendship bracelets, and anything else that symbolizes your friendship.
Once you’ve glued everything into the book nicely, write short pieces of text in and around the pictures and memorabilia.
These can be inside jokes, memories, quotes about friendship, or little heartfelt notes about your love for your best friend and hopes for the future.
71 great things to write in a scrapbook for a best friend
Most of what makes a scrapbook good is how well it is laid out and what pictures it contains.
But to really make a scrapbook meaningful, you have to write personal messages in it.
Aim for one or two short pieces of text on each double page, such as a quote, reference to an inside joke, or song lyric.
Then, on one or two pages, write a more substantial letter-like note to your best friend.
A scrapbook for a bestie essentially tells the story of your friendship, so make sure what you are writing in it does the time you’ve spent together justice.
The ideas for what to write in a scrapbook for a best friend that are listed above can be used as guidance.
Try to personalize each point as much as possible.
If you want to have even more text in your scrapbook, you can fill your dull moments by coming up with things to write about when you’re bored that have to do with your friendship. Jot down your thoughts on the pages as you go.
This will give your scrapbook an extra-personal touch.
Write a thank you note expressing how grateful you are for your friendship in the scrapbook for your best friend
It is always nice to show appreciation for our friends.
Whether your friend has supported you through the loss of a loved one, taken you dancing in the wake of a break-up, or makes sure to always write an anniversary card for you and your partner, taking the time to show them how grateful you are will make them feel like their efforts are valued.
So, if you’re making your bff a scrapbook, make sure you include a note expressing how thankful you are to have them in your life.
If you’re stuck for words to express your love, or just need a bit of inspiration, check out these sample messages to write in a scrapbook for a best friend.
1. You are seriously the best friend a girl could have. There are no words to express how grateful I am to have you in my life.
2. Thank you for always being my rock. I can’t tell you how much I value being able to rely on you.
3. Thank you, bestie, for being such an incredible and caring friend to me over the years. You’ve seen the best and worst of me and have stuck around through it all. I don’t know what I did to deserve you, but I feel endlessly grateful that you’re my person.
4. I wouldn’t be standing where I am without your friendship. You’ve done so much for me over the years that I’ll never be able to repay you for.
5. Thank you for standing by me through thick and thin. Thank you for being my partner in crime and my shoulder to cry on. I don’t know how I got so lucky.
6. Thank you, thank you, thank you for being the most incredible best friend in the whole entire world.
7. Thank you for believing in my dreams and always being my biggest cheerleader. There is no way I would have accomplished everything that I have if I didn’t have you in my corner, and I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to show you just how grateful I am for that.
8. I’m so grateful to have a best friend like you by my side. Through the good, the bad, and the ugly, I know that I’m never alone and I can’t tell you how much that means to me.
9. The minute I met you, my life became about a million times better. Thank you for always having my back.
10. Only God knows how much you’ve done to support me, and I can never thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me. Your friendship is a shining light in a troubled world, and it’s one I’ll never take for granted.
11. I don’t even know how to begin to tell you how grateful I am that we happened to get on the same bus to New York last year. Thanks for responding to “Hi” by offering me a seat beside you!
12. Thank you for putting up with me! I know that I am not always easy to deal with, but you always manage to make me feel better. I value your friendship so much.
13. Some call it co-dependent, we just call it ride-or-die. Thanks for being my girlie till the end!
Reference an inside joke when you write in your best friend’s scrapbook
Scrapbooks are a great way to preserve memories.
You want your best friend to be able to leaf through the scrapbook you’re giving them and be transported instantly back in time to the good times you’ve spent together.
While photos, ticket stubs, and maps do a great job at triggering happy memories, precious details and funny stories can get lost over time if they aren’t written down.
This is also true of inside jokes. If there is a particular way that you and your friend used to joke when you were younger, or even if you regularly reference inside jokes now, include them all as inscriptions in the scrapbook you’re giving them so that you don’t forget them.
Here are a few samples of the way in which you might inscribe a scrapbook with an inside joke.
14. “We were on a BREAK!”
15. “You’ve won the game!”
16. “Cash me outside…howbow dah?”
Write a summary of all the things you look forward to doing together in the future
Friendships are a wonderful thing, because at any point on your friendship journey you can look both backward and forward: You can reminisce on your past and you can daydream about the future.
If you are putting together a scrapbook because something is changing, such as your friend getting married or is moving away, it is nice to list all the nice things you plan to do together in the future.
This will make your friend feel that even though her circumstances are changing, your bond doesn’t have to.
Even if you’re compiling a scrapbook when nothing major is changing, it is still nice to think about all the things the future of your friendship holds.
Your scrapbook isn’t just a book about the history of your friendship, it’s a book that tells the story of your friendship, including its future prospects.
Here are a few things you could write in a scrapbook for your best friend to get them excited for all the things still to come.
17. We’ve been through so much together, but I know that the best is yet to come.
18. Dear best friend, here is a list of things I can’t wait to do with you in the weeks, and months ahead: wear matching Halloween costumes (again), set up the Christmas tree in your new apartment, go ice skating and drink hot cocoa, and make holiday cookies (and try not to burn them).
19. I can’t wait to sip colorful drinks on the beach on our vacation together this summer, and I’m already dreaming of guzzling hot cocoa and marshmallows in the lodge on our ski break next winter.
20. You’re getting married, bestie! I absolutely can’t wait to sip prosecco while you try on dresses, to sample cake flavors with you, to treat you to the bachelorette party of your dreams, and ultimately, to stand right beside you as your maid of honor while you marry the man of your dreams.
21. I’m so excited to come visit you in Vancouver once you’re settled in in your new apartment. So many fun days and evenings ahead.
22. Even though you’re moving, nothing has to change! You’ll always be my best friend. I can’t wait for the times when you come back to visit and we go fishing at the lake, or I come to visit you at college and we spend a whole day eating and trying out the local cuisine.
23. Here’s to many more nights of wine, laughter, midnight runs, pajamas and hot cocoa, movie marathons, cinema trips, hotdog dinner parties, and much, much more. So many wonderful memories still to be made!
24. I can’t wait to be ten years older and to look back at all the wonderful things we’ll have done together between now and then. One thing is for sure: with a friendship like ours, the years won’t have been boring.
25. I am always so excited to see what the two of us will get up to next…
26. What happens when you put two crazy dreamers together and make them best friends? Well, so far…chaos. And when it comes to the future? Only time will tell 😉
27. This is a scrapbook to honor everything that has come before and everything that is yet to come…which will definitely include more visits to that karaoke bar on George Street.
Write a list of the things you love most in the scrapbook for your best friend
While you might not want your scrapbook to be overly sentimental, your scrapbook would be incomplete without at least one or two sincere notes about how much you value your friendship.
Here are a few sample inscriptions for a scrapbook that tell your friend what you love about them.
28. You are so strong, intelligent, and compassionate, and everyone who meets you feels instantly comfortable in your company.
29. You are the most wonderful person I know, and I am so proud to call you my best friend.
30. You are stunning, hilarious, independent, and as smart as a whip…watch out world!
31. I’ve never met someone who shows the people around them so much care and support. Your never-ending energy for life and your warmth toward everyone you meet never cease to amaze me.
32. To a very special friend, who is reliable, thoughtful, assertive, and loyal, all while never forgetting to be kind to everyone she meets.
33. To my old-souled, wise, and courageous best friend.
34. You are such an inspiration to me. You are determined, caring, patient, and unbelievably insightful. If I ever want advice, you are always the first person I call.
35. This book is for you! My dear best friend, you are beautiful, fun-loving, tough, and supremely funny, and I love having you in my life.
Tell your best friend they have a wonderful future ahead of them
Scrapbooks make a great gift to mark the end of an era.
If you’re making a scrapbook to commemorate a big moment in your best friend’s life, such as a graduation, a move, or a wedding, then it’s a nice idea to write a note wishing them success for the future and telling them you know they’ll do great.
Here are a few things to write in a scrapbook to show your best friend you believe in them and think they have a wonderful future ahead.
36. This scrapbook is for a total rising star!
37. You have a beautiful relationship that will soon be transformed into a beautiful marriage. I can’t wait to watch you walk down the aisle to marry the love of your life.
38. Congratulations on your graduation and good luck for your start at college! You deserve the world and I know you’re going to absolutely kill it in Chicago. I can’t wait to come visit you.
39. If you ever doubt yourself, know that your future is as bright as the grease on our foreheads in this 7th grade photo.
40. To my brilliant friend: The world is your oyster. Don’t forget to call me every so often while you’re out there redefining what it means to be successful.
41. Dear BFF, I can’t wait until you are famous so that I can tell people that I was your childhood best friend and show them this picture of you crying in a diaper.
42. You are so beautiful and smart that it is almost difficult to be your friend. I know you’re going to achieve all the success you deserve as you begin this new chapter of your life.
43. You’ve worked so hard to get your new job in Europe, and I know you’re going to smash it. I can’t wait to visit you and to see the wonderful life you’ll create for yourself.
Quotes about friendship to add in the scrapbook for a best friend
Quotes make a great addition to scrapbooks.
They can be funny lines from a TV show you enjoy watching with your bestie, or they can be profound and thought-provoking lines about friendship from your favorite authors.
Whichever words you choose to quote, you can write them in and around the pictures of you and your best friend.
Here is a selection of beautiful and funny quotes about friendship that you could include on the pages of your scrapbook.
44. “A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.” – Elbert Hubbard
45. “I would rather walk with a friend in the dark than alone in the light.” – Helen Keller
46. “Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.” – Muhammad Ali
47. “There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” – Linda Grayson
48. “Can miles truly separate you from friends… If you want to be with someone you love, aren’t you already there?” – Richard Bach
49. “Time doesn’t take away from friendship, nor does separation.” – Tennessee Williams
50. “A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.” – Jim Morrison
51. “A good friend is a connection to life––a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world.” – Lois Wyse
Friendship memories to write down in the scrapbook for bff
It is the memorable moments we share with our friends that bond us for life.
Whether those moments are good or bad, it’s the out-of-the-ordinary times in life that allow us to see the people in our lives more clearly, and that show us how we feel about them.
Often, best friendships are sealed under difficult or intense circumstances, when one friend shows the other that they can be trusted to stand by them and support them.
Friendships can also form in and be strengthened by intensely joyful moments.
But whatever stories along the way have sealed the deal on your best friendship, a scrapbook is the perfect place to share and preserve them.
You will of course have your own stories, but here are a few ways you might begin to tell them.
52. I’ll never forget the time we…
53. Do you remember when…
54. The moment I knew we would be best friends for life was when…
55. This is a picture of the day…
56. I’ve always kept this ticket because it reminds me of the awesome time we had…
57. My favorite memory of us is…
58. One of the best days of my life was…
Funny friendship memories to write in scrapbook for a best friend
There is a reason why embarrassing and funny stories form the basis of so many wedding speeches.
There is nothing more entertaining than a story about something awkward that happened to someone we know well.
And we all like to reminisce on the cringeworthy things we’ve done ourselves too––just so long as enough time has passed to make them funny.
Any set of best friends will have a whole treasure trove of funny stories to tell about times they made fools of themselves.
A scrapbook is the perfect place to record some of those funny tales.
Not only will they enhance your friend’s experience of reading her scrapbook but putting your stories into writing will make sure they don’t get forgotten.
Think how much funnier they will seem several decades down the road when your bestie is flipping through the pages of that old scrapbook you once made her.
59. I hate to bring this up, but I don’t think this book would be complete without the story of the time…
60. The most embarrassing friendship story we have is…
61. Can you believe that we actually…
62. I know you’ve been wondering whether I was going to mention this in here…and, yes, I am. My favorite funny story about us is…
63. I think the worst thing we’ve ever done is…
64. I’m blushing with embarrassment just from thinking about it now, but I can never see pictures of this holiday without remembering when…
Write down the lyrics to a song that brings back good memories in the scrapbook of your best friend
Just as every couple has their song, every best friendship has a playlist––whether or not the songs have actually been compiled or not.
Your friendship playlist might include the songs they played at your first school dances, the ones you used sing out loud in the car, the one that was playing when you first went to a bar, and so on and so forth.
The point is, if a song is one of your friendship songs, you’ll know.
Why not use a nice pen to write down your favorite lyrics on the pages that feature pictures of the times when you would have listened to those songs.
Even just reading them will probably be enough to make your friend put the song on as she looks through the next section of the scrapbook.
Scrapbook for a best friend — Little heartfelt notes to write down
Most of the written texts in a scrapbook for your best friend can be relatively short.
As long as most pages feature at least a quote, a song lyric, or a well-written joke, they will have character and will not appear too bare.
However, a scrapbook is a sentimental thing. It’s supposed to be a reminder of happy memories and serve as a moving reminder of how much your friendship means to you both.
No friendship scrapbook would really be complete without a heartfelt note about how you hope that your BFF status stands the test of time.
Once you’ve been best friends with someone for a while, you’ll feel like they are a permanent fixture of your life.
But as we get older, the realities of making room for romantic relationships, job stresses, and babies can mean that we don’t see our friends as often as we might want to.
For this reason, it is important to take every opportunity you can to express to your friend how much they mean to you and to tell them that you hope you stay as close as you are forever.
Here are a few things you could write in a scrapbook for a best friend to let them know how much you care about them and to tell them that you hope your best friendship lasts forever.
65. I’m so proud of our friendship. We’ve been through thick and thin together, and I know that there is nothing in this world that can break our bond.
66. Our friendship is such a special thing. Whatever happens in both of our lives, I hope you know that I will always be your best friend and I will always be here for you.
67. Our friendship is one of a kind. As far as I’m concerned, I met my soulmate in you. Whatever men we marry will just have to accept that we come as a package deal. If they upset one of us, they upset us both. I look forward to tackling the rest of this wild ride called life with you by side.
68. To my dear best friend, I’ll stick by you forever, and that’s a promise.
69. You aren’t even a best friend to me anymore, you are more like a sister. And you know what they say, “Family is for life.” I will always have your back and I hope that we can continue to laugh, fight, cry, and dance with each other for the rest of our lives.
70. Making this scrapbook was a wonderful experience. I cried and laughed looking at our old photos––what were we doing with our hair?! But mostly, I just felt so grateful to have you as my best friend. I hope our relationship never changes, and just know that you can call me up at any hour, any time, at any point in our lives.
71. When I said, “Best friends for life” in first grade, I meant it. And I still mean it every bit as much today.